Fact: Like most people, you had an almost perfect and even skin tone when you were younger. As you got older, sun exposure, your daily commute, and puberty that led to acne breakouts, as well as sitting out during all those summer seasons could have led to skin discoloration and an uneven complexion.
Uneven skin tone does not pose a serious medical threat, but this could take a toll on your self-esteem and confidence. Thankfully, there are ways on how to get even skin tone and eventually get your confidence back on track.
Here 18 simple but effective techniques on how to get even skin tone naturally:
1. First, Identify the Cause for Dark Spots and Uneven Skin Tone
Call it whatever you like – dark spots, uneven skin tone, hyperpigmentation, and whatever name you can think of. Nonetheless, one thing is for sure: you want to get rid of these spots and get your confidence back on track.
Here is something you should know about uneven skin tone: not all of the spots were created equal. In fact, dark spots come from three sources:
- UV Exposure – This triggers the growth of solar lentigo, or excess skin cells that goes by the name sun spots, age spots or liver spots.
- Estrogen Fluctuations – Pregnancy or using birth control pills stimulate melanocyte cells to work longer and create melasma, or unwanted pools of melanin in your skin.
- Injuries – Whether it’s from a pimple or burns from a curling iron, injuries could be the reason for some stubborn marks on your skin, also known as post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation.
In other words, identify the cause for your dark spots before trying products that help solve your dilemma on how to get even skin tone on legs and your entire body. Once you determined the reasons for your uneven skin tone, you can now go for the appropriate solution, according to the cause of dark spots.
2. Drink Water: The First Step Towards Getting an Even Skintone
You know how important water is in keeping yourself hydrated and ensuring your health is in tiptop shape, but did you know that water also helps in evening skin tone?
Water cleanses your skin from the inside out, thereby keeping your skin hydrated. Once your skin is well-hydrated, your skin will start looking plump and baby-like.
That’s not all. Drinking water helps get rid of toxins and other unwanted substances inside your body. This cleanses your body from the inside, thereby reducing dirt that could contribute to uneven skin tone.
Therefore, drink at least six to eight glasses of water everyday and add more water-rich foods in your diet. To encourage you to drink more, keep your water cold and add citrus fruits like lemon or orange for more flavors.
3. Exercise Regularly and Your Skin Will Be Happy
Aside from drinking water, another simple and effective way to get rid of unwanted substances in your skin is by exercising. In fact, one of the tricks on how to get even skin tone on body is by exercising regularly.
You might be wondering why. Working out allows you to sweat, thereby getting rid of the toxins and other unwanted substances inside your body. Consequently, it gets your heart pumping and keeps your skin toned and young.
Don’t forget to wash your face and change your clothes after workout. You don’t want to trap oil and dirt in your skin, do you? Otherwise, this could lead to acne breakouts and uneven skin tone.
4. Say Goodbye to Junk Foods and Get Your Skin Tone Back on Track
You might be unsure of the connection between junk foods and how to get even skin tone on face and body. Believe it or not, the connection is close.
Junk foods contain ingredients that are not good for your skin. The oils, sugar, salt and other chemicals could trigger your skin to produce more oil and clog your pores. Clogged pores are surefire hit for dirt, bacteria, and dead skin and could lead to uneven skin tone. Plus, this could mean extra weight too, and you don’t want that.
In other words, if you want an even skin tone, eat healthy and avoid junk foods as much as you can.
Lifestyle changes can help a lot on how to get even skin tone on arms and other parts of your body. Apparently, this doesn’t end here. The succeeding sections will tell you more about getting your skin tone back – with tips on how to keep it healthy and baby-like.
5. A Tip to Remember: Moisturize Your Skin to Keep It In
There is a reason why you need to drink six to eight glasses of water everyday. Aside from keeping you hydrated, it helps retain moisture in your skin, which is a crucial process in keeping it healthy and even.
A good moisturizer helps even out your skin complexion. At the same time, it reduces dry and flaky skin while keeping your skin smooth and well-moisturized.
When choosing a moisturizer, make sure to consider your skin type to ensure that it will address your skin’s specific needs. Choose a product that is rich in vitamin E and antioxidants to prevent certain substances from clogging your pores and contribute to uneven skin tone.
If you want a moisturizer that is both safe and effective on your skin, try Skinception Argan Oil.
6. Exfoliation: An Important Step on How to Get Even Skin Tone
You know that dirt, excess oil, bacteria and other unwanted substances could clog your pores and lead to uneven skin tone. Unfortunately, washing your face with soap and water is not enough.
This is where exfoliation comes in. Exfoliation removes dirt, excess oil, bacteria, and dead skin cells, which contributes to uneven skin tone, sitting pretty on your skin. By exfoliating, you are able to remove these substances on your skin and pave way to newer, healthier skin cells to resurface. This gives you a healthier, more youthful, and revitalized appearance.
A piece of advice: exfoliate not more than three times a week. Too much exfoliation can dry your skin and make you more prone to itchiness and irritation. You can also try a skin product like Skinception Microderm Facial Exfoliator. It sloughs away dead skin cells and unclogs pores to enable new skin to arise. The best part is this product works on all skin types.
7. Don’t Forget the Sunscreen and Your Skin Will Reward You for It
One of the most common reasons for uneven skin tone is sun exposure. Prolonged sun exposure could darken certain spots, hence uneven skin tone. What’s the point of wearing a sunscreen now that you have uneven skin tone?
Wearing sunscreen stops existing dark spots from further darkening since small amounts of unprotected skin can already make pigmentation worse. At the same time, sunscreen helps prevent new spots from forming in your skin.
Even on cloudy or winter days, wearing sunscreen is imperative since the sun’s harmful UV rays can still penetrate on your skin and cause damage. This means it could worsen pigmentation issues as well.
It’s not just any sunscreen you see in stores. It should be at least SPF 30 and has both UVA and UVB sun protection. This way, you are sure that your skin is protected. Don’t forget to re-apply every two to three hours if you are staying outdoors for a longer time.
This leads you to the next tip.
8. Seek the Shade Whenever You Can and Even With Sun Protection
Just because you are wearing sunscreen, it doesn’t necessarily follow that you can stay out for as long as you can. As much as possible, seek shade whenever possible.
Keep in mind that sun is one of your skin’s mortal enemies. According to the Skin Cancer Foundation, 80 percent of the sun’s harmful UV rays can pass through the clouds regardless of the season.
What does this have to do with your skin?
Slather on sunscreen and still seek shade whenever you can. This prevents existing dark spots from further darkening and worse, multiplying.
9. Skin Spot Remover as Part of Your Line of Defense for Evening Skin Tone
Here is something you should know about pigmentation: it will respond to topical bleaching creams or spot removers. When it comes to bleaching agents, one name always stands out: hydroquinone.
One of the techniques on how to get even skin tone on body is by applying hydroquinone on affected areas. It stops melanin production and speeds up the process of exfoliation, thereby minimizing dark spots in your body.
A lot has been said and thrown against hydroquinone. Some argue that it is potentially carcinogenic while the American Academy of Dermatology stand by it and claim that hydroquinone, when used sparingly and in short doses, could make your skin more even looking.
10. Get Rid of Dead Skin Cells through Regular Face Peels
One of the simplest but most effective ways to get rid of dead skin cells in your body is through exfoliation. Apparently, this is not enough. If you are serious about how to get even skin tone naturally, you need to add this in your list of must do: face peels.
Aside from exfoliating the epidermis, face peels help remove superficial pigment-packed cells and hasten the effects of your favorite topical products. As a result, your skin’s top layer is eliminated, thereby revealing a fresher, newer, and healthier skin.
You can try Cane and Austin Retexturizing Treatment Pads, which helps reduce fine lines and correct any skin discoloration. In case acne or acne scarring is an issue, make sure that your face peel has salicylic acid a glycolic acid face peel to manage your wrinkles.
11. Tips on Evening Skin Tone Using Makeup
Yes, you read that right. It turns out that makeup is more than just prettifying you. In fact, you can achieve an even skin tone by using your favorite makeup. How will you do this?
- Apply concealer to hide dark spots in your skin. Make sure that the concealer is not too dark since it could lead to rusty orange in color.
- Cover your face with foundation. Don’t forget to dab extra foundation on areas with concealer.
- Add color and depth to your face by applying blush on the apples of your cheeks.
- Use a bronzer to add shadows to your face. You can do this by sweeping the bronzer, starting near your hairline then towards your nose.
- Wrap it with a setting powder to make your makeup last longer
In case you are looking for an instant way to make your skin look more even, then this makeup tutorial will do.
Here’s the catch: once the makeup is gone, you are back to reality again. If you want a sure solution for an even skin tone, then the succeeding sections will tell you more about it.
12. Lemon Juice: Nature’s Best Gift to the People
When it comes to natural treatments for various skin conditions, one name will always pop in the list: lemon.
What’s in a lemon that helps you in getting an even skin tone?
Lemon is acidic in nature, which means it helps balance your skin’s pH level – a crucial requirement for an even skin tone. Aside from this, lemon is rich in citric acid, an ingredient that not only naturally lightens your skin but also even out your complexion.
The best part is lemon is readily available and easy to use. All you need to do is to apply lemon juice on dark areas in your skin, let it stay for a maximum of 15 minutes, and then rinse with lukewarm water.
Now you know why it is a favorite home remedy on how to get even skin tone. Check out the succeeding sections to find out other home remedies on how to get even skin tone on face and body.
13. Oatmeal Paste: Another Natural Ingredient That Promises to Even Your Skin Tone
You might associate oatmeal with fiber and makes things easier for you inside the bathroom. Did you know that you can also use oatmeal to help you even your skin tone?
In what way, you might ask. Oatmeal acts as an exfoliating agent, which means it helps get rid of dirt, excess oil, bacteria, and other unwanted substances in your skin. This paves way to a healthier and younger looking skin.
How to Make Your Own at Home Oatmeal Paste for an Even Skin Tone
- Combine oatmeal and a bit of honey. You can adjust the measurements of this according to how you plan to use this.
- Mix the two ingredients well until it forms a paste.
- Apply the mixture on your skin and massage it gently in circular motion.
- Let it stay in your skin for 10 minutes then rinse with lukewarm water.
Just like lemon, this one is easy to do too.
14. More Than Just a Kitchen Ingredient: Baking Soda on Evening Skin Tone
Baking soda is another staple kitchen ingredient that comes with tons of uses. You can use it for cooking, baking, and even as a cleaning agent. This includes how to get an even skin tone.
The reason for this is because baking soda acts as a natural exfoliator that is safe and gentle on your skin. It helps gently scratch the surface of your skin to remove the dry, flaky layers that contribute to uneven skin tone and scarring.
Here’s how you can make the most out of baking soda:
- In a small bowl, combine one teaspoon of baking soda with a few drops of water or rosewater.
- Mix well until it forms a paste-like consistency.
- Apply the face directly on your face and let it stay for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Massage the mixture on your face in circular motion for additional three minutes.
- Rinse your skin with lukewarm water then pat dry.
Make sure to do this regularly and your skin will be happy. This assures even skin tone too.
15. Yogurt: Another Kitchen Favorite that Promises to Keep Your Skin Even
There are many reasons why you should consider going natural. When it comes to evening skin tone, natural ingredients can also be your best bet. By natural ingredients, this means adding yogurt in the list.
Yogurt contains natural bleaching properties that helps exfoliate your skin and improve your skin tone. When used regularly, yogurt is capable of addressing pigmentation issues including scars, sun tan, and uneven skin tone.
How to Make Your Own Yogurt Mask
All it takes are two ingredients. Here’s how to do it:
- Mix one tablespoon of plain yogurt and one teaspoon of water.
- Apply the mixture on your face and neck, and spread it evenly.
- Let it stay on your face for 20 to 30 minutes or until the mixture gets dry on your skin.
- Rinse with warm water and pat your skin dry.
Make sure to do this regularly to enjoy best results.
16. You can Never Go Wrong with Good Ol’ Fashioned Sugar Scrub
Lemon may be a staple natural skin care treatment, but sugar does deserve a spot in the list too. This is because sugar is a natural exfoliator, which means its job is to scrub away dead, damaged, and flaky skin to reveal a smoother, healthier, and more radiant complexion. As a result, sugar helps balance out uneven skin tone.
Homemade Sugar Scrub
Here’s how you can make your own sugar scrub:
- Combine one-fourth cup of raw granulated sugar with few drops of water. It should form a paste-like consistency.
- Add few drops of coconut or olive oil on the mixture.
- Rub the mixture gently on your face for three to five minutes.
- Rinse well and pat your skin dry.
Consistency is key to achieve an even, glowing skin, so make sure you do this regularly.
17. Tips on How to Get Even Skin Tone for Black Skin
Black skin and uneven skin tone are two things that don’t go well together – all the time. It may be less noticeable, but the issue is it is harder to treat skin discoloration in case you have darker skin tone. This is because there are particular products, ingredients, and procedures such as laser treatment that don’t work well with your skin type.
Don’t worry. This doesn’t mean there is nothing you can do about it. You can still get your skin tone back by following these simple techniques:
- Consider at-home chemical peels to help resurface your skin.
- Make sure that your lightening ingredient contains ferulic acid and vitamin C; both antioxidants that provide protection against free radical damage and come with skin lightening properties.
- Always apply sunscreen before heading outdoors.
- Try turmeric as a skin lightener. It is a safer alternative to lightening your skin as it slows down your body’s production of melanin.
- Choose a fade cream that is specifically formulated for those with darker skin tones.
18. The Most Important Tip to Remember When Working Towards an Even Skin Tone
Hopefully, you have learned some new techniques and got to know products that will help you lighten your skin and even skin tone. Still, here is an important tip you should remember when it comes to evening skin tone: be patient.
These techniques on how to get even skin tone will help you achieve the results you wanted. Nonetheless, it is important to know that the results are not instant and it will take some time before you see any difference in your skin.
Therefore, be patient, consistently stick to a lightening routine and you will see the difference in no time.