Jennifer Aniston, the late Princess Diana, Gwyneth Paltrow, and Madonna – these are only some of the celebrities who swear by colon cleansing. After all, colon is an important organ in your body and getting rid of the toxins inside could benefit you a lot – or does it?
Here’s the truth: there is an ongoing debate as to the benefits of colon cleansing and whether or not it is necessary. For some, diet-based colon cleansing is the best way to go, while there are others who prefer the traditional colonic irrigation.
What is the best option? It depends on your preferences, although here are 16 reasons why you should consider natural colon cleansing based on dietary choices.
1. Defining Terms: Colonic Irrigation vs. Natural Colon Cleanse
Colon cleansing proponents identified two types of colon cleansing: colon cleansing using laxatives, herbal teas and other bowel-clearing substances and colonic irrigation, via a trained practitioner.
The first type refers to the use of certain products and food meant to make you empty your bowels. This includes bowel-clearing laxatives, supplements, powders, herbal teas, and fiber-enriched foods to encourage bowel movement. There are many cleansing methods you can try such as liver cleanse, master cleanse or juice cleansing.
On the other hand, colonic irrigation is where a practitioner flushes the toxins out of your colon using water or other liquid substances. In this procedure, the practitioner inserts a tube in your rectum to transfer the liquid substance that will facilitate colon cleansing.
2. The Good Side: Understanding the Benefits of Colon Cleansing
There are conflicting claims as to the benefits of cleansing method. For the non-believers, there is no need to go through cleansing since the body is equipped with necessary organs to get rid of the harmful substances inside your body. At the same time, experts are saying that there is no scientific evidence to back up the proponents’ health claims about colon cleansing.
Conversely, cleansing proponents and enthusiasts believe otherwise. In fact, colon cleansing, regardless of the type of method used, comes with tons of health benefits.
Health Benefits of Colon Cleansing
Colon cleansing is beneficial because it:
- Maintains regular bowel movements, thereby preventing constipation.
- Increases your body’s absorption of nutrients into the bloodstream.
- Makes it easy for your digestive system to eliminate undigested wastes.
- Decreases your risk of colon cancer.
- Gets rid of acid-forming colon blockages, which leads to balance in your pH levels in the bloodstream.
- Help improve your concentration.
- Gives your energy a boost.
- Improves your overall well being.
3. What Goes Inside the Room: Colonic Irrigation Procedure vs. Diet-Based Colon Cleansing
Another notable difference between colonic irrigation and diet-based colon cleansing is the procedure involved in carrying out its effects.
Diet-Based Colon Cleansing
For this cleansing method, here’s what you should do:
- Do not eat or drink anything for at least 12 hours prior to colon cleansing.
- Food and drinks intake are limited to pressed juices, smoothies, or fruits and vegetables, depending on your chosen colon cleansing method.
- During cleansing, you also have to avoid specific foods so you won’t compromise the effects of cleansing.
- Cleansing will take from three days to two months depending on the colon cleansing method you are following.
Prior to the procedure, the colon therapist must know your health history, existing medical conditions, and health goals to properly identify if this procedure is for you. Thereafter and once the colon therapist established that you are a good candidate, here’s what happens:
- The colon cleansing practitioner will insert an instrument into your rectum. This instrument is where the warm filtered water, coffee or any other liquid substance will pass through all the way to your colon.
- The tube is attached to colon hydrotherapy equipment, which is capable of releasing 25 to 35 gallons of water.
- Once the liquid is transported to your colon, the practitioner will employ abdominal massage techniques to eliminate wastes inside your body. Abdominal massage techniques also help remove those unwanted substances sticking to your colon walls.
4. Location, Location: Your Home vs. a Health Clinic
Another notable difference between the two procedures is where you go to do them.
One advantage of natural diet-based cleansing is that you can do it at the comfort of your home, with no one touching you or putting any instrument inside your body. You are more at ease with yourself and you can work on cleansing at your own pace. You also don’t have to worry about the wastes coming out from your body since no one can see it.
On the other hand, colonic irrigation must only be done in privately-run clinic and health spas. A colon cleansing therapist conducts the procedure and all you have to do is to lie on your side. Although more convenient, this could add up to embarrassment.
5. It’s A Game of Numbers: How Long Every Procedure Takes
Given these procedures, the question now is how long each procedure takes, so you will know how much time you need to allot per procedure.
For the natural diet-based colon cleansing, you just have to finish the pressed juice according to your own pace. As soon as you finished your food or drinks, you will find yourself rushing to the bathroom after a few minutes to get rid of the wastes and toxins inside your body.
As to the colonic irrigation, the treatment lasts from 30 to minutes to one hour. You don’t have to run through the bathroom since the colonic irrigation process itself gets rid of the wastes inside your body.
Both procedures will make you feel lighter and cleaner from the inside. This helps increase your mental clarity, too.
6. A Risky Move: The Downsides to Colon Cleansing
There may be conflicting claims about the need for colon cleansing, but one thing is for sure: it can give you good things inside your body.
Here’s the thing: it comes with risks and side effects too, regardless of the chosen method. Still, between the two procedures, the diet-based colon cleansing is safer since no water is pumped inside your body, which could affect other organs. At the same time, there are less medical conditions associated with it compared to colonic irrigation.
Most of the known side effects came from case reports based on medical literature. This includes the following:
- Leg or Stomach Cramps
- Abnormal Heart Rhythms
- Stomach Pain
Aside from these side effects, more severe complications from colon cleansing may include the following:
- Bowel Perforation
- Kidney Problems
- Heart Failure
- Electrolyte Imbalances
- Serious Infections
Here is something you should remember: both colon cleansing procedures come with risks and side effects, although one has fewer side effects than the other.
7. Don’t Forget About the Price Tag: The Costs of Cleansing Your Colon
It’s a fact that almost everything comes with a price tag, including colon cleansing. Despite the benefits of colon cleansing, going through any of the two procedures means paying for something. The question now is how much do these procedures cost, and which among the two are more acceptable in the pocket.
Between the two, the natural cleansing method is more affordable. Laxatives costs as low as $16, while herbal teas are from $2 to $25 dollars depending on how many pounds you are getting. If you opt for fruit and veggie diet, then you don’t have to pay hundreds of dollars, too. If you opt for pressed juices, then be willing to pay $50 to $250 for minimum of three-day cleanse.
On the other hand, colonic irrigation costs $50 to $200 per session, depending on the doctor who will perform the procedure. This doesn’t include consultation fees, transportation expenses, and post-colonic irrigation expenses. Unfortunately, colonic irrigation is not usually covered by your insurance unless it is part of a necessary medical procedure prior to surgery.
In other words, diet-based colon cleansing is more affordable and doesn’t require you to break your piggy bank.
8. The Battle of the Cleansing Methods: What is Your Best Option?
With these guidelines, you figured that natural diet-based colon cleansing is a good place to jumpstart the cleansing process. Compared to colonic irrigation, colon cleansing using diet-cleansing foods is safer, affordable and healthier. There will be side effects along the way, such as dehydration, which is why you need to compensate it with water.
You want to know the best part?
Natural colon cleansing based on diet is easily accessible. All you need to do is to buy the necessary ingredients in the market or grocery store, and you can do it anytime you want. There are also readily available detox juices, which can be delivered right to your doorstep.
Here’s the question: how do you start with natural colon cleansing based on diet? The succeeding sections will tell you how.
9. Water and Sea Salt: A Simple Way to Prevent Toxic Buildup
Are you wondering the simplest way to prevent the buildup of toxins in your colon? Drink lots of water. Eight to 10 glasses of water are enough to flush the toxins away from your body. It keeps your skin and body hydrated too. You can increase water intake by trying the following techniques:
- Bring a water container with you everywhere you go.
- Add ice or keep your water cold to encourage you to drink more.
- Make your hydration chart to keep track of how many glasses of water you are getting everyday.
- Drink a glass of water before, during, and after meals.
10. The Importance of Probiotics and Prebiotics in Your System
One of the simplest ways to jumpstart your detox is by adding probiotics and prebiotics in your diet.
What are these two anyway?
Probiotics are live, or often called good or helpful, bacteria keep your gut and entire digestive system healthy. On the other hand, prebiotics is a group of substances that induce the growth or activity of microorganisms that contribute to the well-being of the host, in this case, your digestive system.
To understand it better, keep in mind that your gut contains trillions of microorganisms, which play a crucial role in digestive function, protect your body against infection, facilitates nutrient absorption, and boosts your immune function. Prebiotics, which you can get from onion, garlic, leeks, bananas, apples, sweet potatoes and yams help feed these microorganisms.
Over time, your gut needs more good bacteria in order to function well. This is where probiotics come in. It populates your gut with good bacteria and boosts your gut’s fighting power and ability to function well.
The following are good sources of probiotics:
- Miso Soup
You can also try probiotic supplements, although make sure to switch brands to give your body a variety of bacteria.
11. Dark Leafy Greens: Veggies Your Body Can’t Live Without
How many times do you see leafy greens in the list of must-have foods? Most of the time, you will see dark leafy greens among the best foods to feed your body. Greens are good for your body because they are:
- Rich in fiber, which are helpful in cleaning your gut.
- Full of antioxidants and minerals that protect your body from toxins.
- Lowers your cholesterol, which your liver needs to make new bile acid that aids in digestion.
- Easy for your body to digest.
On your next grocery day, make sure to add the following in your cart:
- Swiss Chard
- Mustard Greens
- Turnip Greens
Tips to Add Leafy Greens to Your Diet
If you aren’t a big fan of green salads, here are some other options for you:
- Add them in your favorite soups, casseroles and stews.
- Sneak them into your smoothies.
- Toss them with pasta.
- Make your own lettuce wraps.
- Pile them on pizza together with other toppings.
- Try them in stuffed baked potatoes.
12. Ancient Superfoods: Reasons Chia Seeds Are Your Colon’s Best Friend
When it comes to nutritional benefits, there is no such thing as big or small foods. Regardless of the size, each natural food comes with corresponding health benefits. This includes tiny chia seeds.
Here’s the deal with the chia seed: it comes with tons of benefits. One ounce serving of chia seeds could give your body sufficient nutrients like fiber, protein, magnesium, fat and calcium. They are also loaded with antioxidants to fight production of free radicals.
However, one of the most important benefits of chia seeds is that they help you cleanse your gut. In fact, these tiny seeds are the perfect colon cleansers, which not only flush out the wastes and toxins inside your stomach, but also prevent constipation.
Check out these simple tips to add chia seeds in your diet – and cleanse your colon in no time:
- Mix chia seeds with yogurt or ice cream for an extra crunch.
- Sprinkle chia seeds on salads or into your favorite dressing.
- Garnish your favorite meals like roasted veggies, mashed potato, or chicken with chia seeds.
- Make your own chia seeds pudding.
- Add chia seeds in your fruits smoothie.
- Substitute eggs with chia seeds for vegan touch.
- Add chia seeds in your oatmeal.
Wait, there’s more diet-based cleansing foods waiting for you below so make sure to keep reading.
13. An Avocado a Day Keeps Toxins Away
Fact: fruits and vegetables are staple essentials you should have in your kitchen – for a reason. They are rich in vitamins, minerals, nutrients, and antioxidants, which keeps your gut as clean as possible.
When it comes to fruits, here is something you should have all the time: avocado.
Avocados are rich in both soluble and insoluble fiber that could do the following:
- Promotes healthy bowel movements.
- Cleanses your colon.
- Minimizes your risk of developing colon cancer.
- Helps your body absorb water and other nutrients.
- Binds with other digested substances to help easy movement through the digestive tract.
- Reduces or prevents constipation issues.
Given these benefits, it only shows that avocados help maintain regular bowel movements and prevents toxic buildup inside your body. Are you convinced that natural colon cleansing is your best bet? If you are still unsure whether it is the best option for you, then below are various healthy, alternative ways to help you clean out your system, the natural way.
14. Allowing Your Liver and Kidney to Do Their Job
Let me tell you something: your body is designed to get rid of substances it doesn’t need. This includes toxins, bacteria, and other harmful ingredients that could disrupt balance inside your body. In fact, this is what liver and kidney are for – to cleanse your body.
Liver acts as your body’s filter, handles any metals that pass through your system, and eliminates them from your body. The enzymes also metabolize drugs, chemicals, and othe toxins inside your body as part of the ridding process.
On the other hand, kidneys are your body’s natural filters. They filter your blood and purges and expels toxins inside your body through urination.
In other words, these two organs are enough to encourage cleansing inside your body. Therefore, it is best that you keep them in their tip-top shape, which you will learn how in the next sections.
15. Enhance Your Colon Health by Adding Fiber in Your Diet
Fiber is an essential nutrient your body needs to keep you healthy. It facilitates proper disposal of wastes inside your body and at the same time, keeps you feel fuller longer. Fiber also helps curb hunger and cravings, thereby making it one of your weight loss best friends.
When it comes to colon health, fiber, both soluble and insoluble, with always be part of the list. This includes whole grains, beans, oats, fruits, and vegetables. It prevents gastrointestinal issues such as constipation, diverticular disease, and even colorectal cancer.
Therefore, make sure that you give your body up to 30 grams of fiber daily to enjoy these benefits and ensure colon health.
Tips to Boost Your Fiber Intake
Here are some ways to get more fiber each day:
- Have at least one serving of whole grains in every meal.
- Use whole wheat products in cooking and baking.
- Make a shift from white rice to brown variants.
- Eat fruits instead of drinking them to retain its fiber content.
- Add beans to your salads.
- Mix dried fruits to your baked goodies.
- Combine fruits like bananas, apples or peaches to cereals or yogurt.
- Keep whole wheat crackers on hand or bring a slice of whole wheat bread for easy snacks.
16. Change Your Dietary Habits and Boost Your Colon Health the Natural Way
What do you think is the common ground among all these? You guessed it right. It’s food.
The truth is food plays an important role in cleansing your colon and getting rid of all the toxins inside your body. Aside from eating fiber-rich and gut-cleansing food, changing your dietary habits could make a difference.
What does this mean?
Get rid of all the toxic food and switch to cleaner, healthier, and more natural alternatives. Eating fruits, veggies, and whole grains is a good place to start. There are many ways you can easily incorporate it in your routine. Skip the junk, processed, and too much salt and sweets. At the same time, make sure that you don’t expose your body to toxins to avoid compromising your digestive and overall health.
Despite the conflicting claims between experts about the need for colon cleansing, one thing is for sure: cleansing your colon is necessary to ensure your optimum health.
There are options you can choose from to cleanse your colon and flush the toxins and wastes away from your system. However, nothing beats natural cleansing using fiber-healthy, gut-cleansing foods – and these 16 reasons have explained why.
Start by drinking eight to 10 glasses of water daily and supplement it with the rest of the tips included in this list.